Do you ever feel like summer slips away too quickly? Or are you ever stumped for fun and interesting things to do when the kids say they are bored, and looking for a little inspiration to make your summer great? Here’s a list of 50 fabulous things to do in and around Guelph this summer.
If you are into art why not try:
- art on the street Saturday July 14
- fourth fridays on the last Friday evening of the month
- The Children’s Art Factory - drop in programs all summer long.
- Play with Clay drop in programs
- A visit to Macdonald Stewart Art Centre and the Sculpture Park We always love taking plasticine or clay to the sculpture park and let ourselves be inspired.
If nature is your thing try:
- Children’s programs at the Enabling Gardens
- Nature exploration programs held twice a week at Rockwood Conservation Area
- Hiking the local trails
- Wednesday Evening Walks at the Arboretum
- The Bug and Butterfly University at Greenaway Blooming Centre in Breslau
- Visiting the childrens garden and pond at the Arboretum
- Visiting the raptor centre at Mountsberg Conservation Area
The community offers lots of great activities, events and programs:
- Meet the fire department during their hot summer nights program.
- Early Years Centre summer programming
- Teddy Bear Picnic at McCrae House in August
- Train and carrousel rides, and paddle boats at Riverside Park
- The Donkey Sanctuary Open Days on Wednesdays and Sundays
- Guelph Public Library Summer programming
- Tiny Tots program at the Guelph Civic Museum
If summer means being in or on the water Guelph has lots to offer.
- Spend the afternoon at one of Guelph’s wading pools and splash pads
- Cool off at Lyons pool
- Take part in Tim Hortons free swimming programs at local pools
- Splash in the fountains at city hall
- Join in on a family swim
- Try tubing on the Grand River
- Or canoeing on the Speed River
- Or rent a canoe, kayak or paddle boat at Rockwood Conservation Area
Guelph is a musical town. There’s lots to take in including:
- Friday noon hour concerts at St George’s Square
- Guelph Concert Band and Guest Bands perform Sunday evening concerts at the Riverside Park Bandshell
- Pipe and Drums evenings at McCrae House on the second Tuesday of each month
There’s lots for sports fans too.
- Take in a Guelph Royals baseball game
- Play Disk Golf at the Arboretum
- Go for a round of mini-golf at Gophers or at Rockwood Conservation Area
- Try your hand at rock climbing at the Grotto
- Play tennis at Exhibition Park
- Bowling at Woodlawn Bowl is always fun if its raining
If you are looking to take a day trip there are plenty of places to visit
- Wellington County Museum has their Summer Pleasures Program happening each Wednesday.
- The Guelph Civic Museum’s Family Gallery is always a hit.
- Doon Heritage Village and the Waterloo Region Museum are just a half an hour from Guelph and such a great way to spend a day.
- Joseph Schneider Haus has some wonderful summer programming.
- Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory
- Westfield Heritage Village
- The Museum in Kitchener has some fun summer exhibits.
- Funmazing Playcentre
- Crawford Lake
This area has so many festivals. Here are a few of our favourites.